If you have children, below are easy tips that you can use to incorporate healthy eating into your family.
- Eat together regularly as a family. This is sometimes difficult these days as time is never on our side. Try to serve one meal a day whether it be breakfast or dinner, at the same time everyday so that the family know when meal is and can sit down together. Children learn from their parents and therefore if they can see that their parents eat healthy foods they learn to adopt this habit too.
- Cook meals at home. This is a healthy habit to adopt as here one has control of the amount of fat, sugar and salt that is added to foods. Try use eating out more for special occasions or celebrations.
- Get your children involved. Give your child the responsibility of choosing foods to be cooked for dinner. This presents a chance to learn about the nutritional value of different foods and help them become aware of and read labels.
- Have a variety of healthy snacks available at home. Keep plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grain snacks, and healthy beverages (water or milk) around and make them easily accessible so kids become used to reaching for healthy snacks.
- Keep portion sizes reasonable. Don’t insist your child finishes all their food on the plate, and never use food as a reward or bribe. A child should eat until they are satisfied and not until you as a parent are satisfied.